10/18/2005

Nightly News.. Katrina

Wow!
I was just watching the nightly news, and there was a lady (Ms. Marcus) on who was starting demolition of her flooded home. Very sad, very sad.. Then my jaw dropped because of what she had to say next..

“Had someone stayed there and manned the pumps,” says Marcus, “you would not be looking at my house like this, and that's what hurts.”

Here is what I do not understand. I am very saddened that this woman and her family lost their home to the flood. It is tragic, and I can not even START to say that I know how she feels, and I can not tell her how she should feel.

BUT....

Basically, if I am understanding this correctly... she believes that the HUMAN BEINGS that were in charge of the pumping stations should have stayed at their posts and died so that her home would not have been flooded out? -- Now, I really do understand that she may be angry, and frustrated, and just needing someone to blame for this.. a name or face to blame this on..

HOWEVER...
Does a tragedy like Katrina give people the right to say that people should have been expected to possibly DIE protecting their property for them??

I will post the link to this article (I watched it on tv, but this is word for word the same) -- And, anyone reading this... if you think I am misunderstanding this, be sure to correct me, but, oh man, I can not seem to see it any other way than to see that people brought a class action lawsuit against their parish for allowing pump operators to evacuate the night before the storm hit......

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9743893/

SAD....

Angel Chasse (again)

2 comments:

Lu said...

my God...how selfish can a person be...

maybe i misunderstood too...but geez it seems as plain as the nose on my face that she expected those people to stay and die so that she could have a house!?!?

sigh

Dr. Deb said...

No easy answers for sure...but I agree, her statement was selfish.

We have another killer storm coming. Wilma...Mother Nature is on a rampage!

~Deb