4/14/2006

Grandma....I'm getting older...

Friday, April 14th 2006 11:21PM

So this week was pretty eventful. Not the good kind really either.
Monday afternoon my grandma and aunt came here. My aunt had some testing scheduled for Tues morning. They visited, stayed the night with my mom and dad, and then I went with them to the heart part of the hospital from 6am to about 5pm. Great news, my aunt Pennie was great, or at least her heart was. They took the pictures, found no blockages,and did no repairs. She just needs to figure out now why her heart is enlarged, which caused this testing in the first place......

So tuesday evening they go home, and I get some sleep. Cut to wednesday evening...
My aunt Shirley calls. Grandma has had a heart attack, and is being flown in the helicopter here. Things look grave Shirley says. Mom and I go to wait for the helicopter and to see grandma. We get into the ER room they have her in. They tell us that they were able to give her a medicine to break up the blockage, and it seems to be working, so they will wait til morning, and get her into the cath lab, to see if there are any other blockages, or if there is any damage... about 20 mins after we get to see her, she starts having this episode of bad heart rythyms, and says her arm and chest hurt again. The cardiologist comes in and says they will take her to the cath lab right now, we are shown to a waiting room, and told they will most likely find a blockage and clear it. An hour and 20 mins later, the dr comes out, says they put a stent in, and that she had a temporary pacemaker for now. Her heart rate had went down to 20 beats per minute, and she had a heart attack basically while they were working on her.... cut to today.. she is fine (as fine as she's going to be) and went home this evening....

So. I am glad that my grandma is feeling better. I hate that I am getting older now, and so things like this are going to happen more and more frequently. And, that my grandma doesn't take care of herself like she should, and there is nothing I can do about it. Even guilting her into feeling sorry for ME if I were to lose her won't work. It is clear that she wants to go be with my grandpa, but man... it gets a person to thinking. I don't want to lose my grandma, but I don't deny that it will happen. I don't want to lose ANYONE in my life, but I have to admit that I will. Ick.. I don't like the thought of it at all. Mortality.....We lost my grandpa in May of 2003.. as hard as that was on me, I can't imagine how it was for my mom. That was her DAD. Seems weird... and sad.. and at the same time..natural... circle of life, way of the world, however you want to think of it...

I guess I can at least take comfort in the fact that Jim and I are really heading in a more healthy direction. We are not oblivious anymore to what we eat, and how it will affect us.

But, folks, getting older doesn't seem to be all that it might be cracked up to be. Sure, I am old enough to vote now, and drink, and old enough to do most anything I want, but geesh... some baggage comes with this getting older junk. I would rather not have this kind of baggage!!!!!!!!!

In good news though, it appears that this apartment will not be nearly as warm as the one we lived in last summer. I am pretty excited about that :)


Angel Chasse (again)

3 comments:

Dr. Deb said...

Wow, a lot DID go on.

Anonymous said...

sorry about the bad news...

i know what you mean about getting older and seeing the people that you love getting older...it is sad...

i feel like i have leaned on my parents all of my life...now that they are getting older and their health is getting bad...they are leaning on me...it is a scary and overwhelming feeling...

dragonflyfilly said...

came over from Dr. Deb's blog...sorry about your Granny...

take care of your heart. after watching Oprah yesterday i'm SCARED...i have to now start reading labels! check out her website for yesterday's program and the 5 things that you MUST avoid if you are going to be king to your heart.

i have to go for my walk now, and buy a postcard for meow...but i will be back to read more...come see me at Flamingos Hideaway, and connected Blogs, if you like...just a caution... this weeks post is not my usual cheery, optimistic one... and i unintentionally startled/upset one of my favourite bloggers.

cheers for now,
pj